
On Sunday afternoon, after our annual
Coody Family Mother's Day Picnic at my parent's house, David and I hopped in the car and busted it to get to the airport to catch our flight. We made it in plenty of time, enough time to not take the train (much to David's disdain); I like to walk to the terminals if we have time. We had a very nice flight thanks to Delta, and made it to Chi-town in plenty of time to check into our hotel and have dinner. We were staying at the Holiday Inn that's settled above the Chicago Sun Times and attached to the Chicago Merchandise Mart. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago is also downstairs. We were on the 22 floor, and the view is beautiful - part river, part skyline!
After a dinner at our hotel's fabulous
Italasia restaurant, we settled in the get some sleep. David is taking another continuing education class here this week, so that leaves the day for me to explore! I took a long run/walk yesterday morning to scope out the city...I happened on the NBC building, Northwestern University, the Magnificent Mile,
Neiman Marcus, and about 40 impatient people waiting to get into the Apple store. We had lunch together while he was on a break and I got to go to the
Art Institute of Chicago's museum. And wow! What a treat for me! There were some very important works there - Picasso, Monet, Manet,
Renoir, Jeff
Koons, Leger, Man Ray, Dali, etc. My absolute favorite where the miniatures in the lower level of the museum - The
Thorne Miniature Rooms. And
Matisse is one of my favorite artists, and there's a beautiful, thorough exhibition on his works and the transitions in his artistic life. After my blissful, cultural afternoon, I met David back at the hotel to head to the
architectural boat tour. It was a little cool yesterday afternoon, but amazing to float down the river that snakes through this beautiful city! We were able to see many types of architecture - Modern, post-Modern, Art Deco, etc. Do you remember in My Best Friend's Wedding when Michael and Julianna are dancing on the boat as he sings to her? Well,
that's during one of these tours. Afterward, we went to the Navy Pier to see the boats on Lake Michigan and to have dinner at Riva -
delish! We had a nice time at the City Bar here at the hotel for an after dinner drink.

One of the rooms representing California architecture and interior design.

Eastern architecture and design


The famous
American Gothic by Grant Wood painted in 1930

Georgia O'Keefe

Frank Lloyd Wright elevation drawings

Claude Monet

On the boat for the river tour

On Tuesday morning, I caught up on my computer - it was cold and rainy! I met David and one of his classmates at a little cafe' across the street for a delicious lunch. Afterwards, I headed to find a nail salon to prep my fingers and
toesies for the beach trip with the girls this weekend! In exploring a different direction of the city, I was able to see a bunch of the buildings up close that we'd seen from the river previously. I also happened on the new
Chicago French Market - so fun! I then finished my run back to the hotel to get dressed for dinner. David and I had an early meal at
Trattoria 10 near the theater where
Billy Elliot was being performed. After a dinner of truffle mushroom soup and butternut squash ravioli for me, and
prosciutto with melon and lamb for David, we had a wonderful time cheering on little Billy at the incredible performance at the Ford Center.


In an attempt to be a good wife, I got up with David this morning to have breakfast before his class as this was the last time I will see him until I return from the beach on Sunday. The cafe' we chose for lunch yesterday also serves an amazing breakfast! He headed off to class, and I headed back to the hotel to pack.
We have both thoroughly enjoyed our time here in Chicago, despite the unseasonably cold temperatures this week! So to all you other travelers, if you're ever looking for a couple to keep you company on a trip to Chi-town, count us in!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love when you leave us comments on what we have going on!